Sunday, July 14, 2013

At the end of my comfort zone...... again

Image source http://dailypositivequotes.com

At the beginning of 2012, I had completed half of a degree in Psychology. I was doing OK, making reasonable grades, but had reached a point where I needed to improve my grades if I was to be considered for an honours year when I finish the degree. 

2012 was the year MasterL started High School, and the year before MissG started school. They are both Autistic and this sort of change is hard for them. In order to have time to properly support them through these big transitions, I decided to apply for leave of absence from my studies. 

It turned out to be a really good thing, as during 2012 I fell pregnant, and my oldest, E, became ill and was diagnosed with Bipolar. Hubby also suffered a back injury at work during 2012. It was a pretty full on year. 

The changes to Disability Support funding in our state schools left everyone even more nervous about MissG's school entry, and Baby R was born right at the beginning of the school year, so I extended my leave of absence through Semester One of this year as well.  

It's now been 19 months since I did any study. 

MissG is doing well at school, with the help of a wonderful teacher. MasterL has successfully navigated 1 1/2 years of High School (not without problems, but with some tweaking of the arrangements at school he's now doing really well). We've settled MasterI into High School as well. E is learning to manage her stuff with great maturity and grace. MissK continues to float happily through life. And BabyR is a very content 5 month old. 

So, it's back to some study for me. I'm looking forward to learning some more about Psychology, and to thinking about things other than what goes on in our house. I am also nervous! I've not studied with such a young baby to tend to at the same time. And I still need to get good grades. Yet, here I am facing the decision.... "do I just keep going along, finding a good excuse to put off what I want to be doing because I am nervous about it, or do I  get on with my life and chase my dreams?". So, it's toward the end of my comfort zone I inch.... again......and hope that life moves on in a way I can manage. 

Wish me luck! 

1 comment: